Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Let the music play..."

"He started dancing and love took us into a groove, as soon as he started to move..."

That's always been one of my all-time favorite dance songs (Shannon, 1983), and you can bet I'll be out on the dance floor shaking my booty to it at our reception.

Yesterday was mega-cleaning day, which actually gave us a unique opportunity for an important wedding-planning task: Start listing music that we'd like to play during the reception. I want to plan on having two cd's/40 songs of "background music" for while we're eating, and three cd's/60 songs (maybe even 4/80) of dance music. I figure even if we end up hiring a DJ instead of just doing our own CDs, we're going to want to make sure that she has everything WE want to hear. We alternated between "Party Favorites" and "Classic Disco" on our digital cable music stations, and just kept writing down songs we liked as they came up.

Of course, we also kept stopping to dance but that's a good thing.

I'm hoping that other folks will ultimately help us out, so if you read this blog, please please PLEASE add a comment with some song suggestions. We know mostly stuff like disco, oldies, Motown, classic R&B -- you know, old fart's stuff. I'd love to have more of a variety, so if you have some favorite "shake your booty" (or "sway with someone you love") music that has
lyrics that are consistent with this being a wedding (no breaking up, or "I hate you" songs... duh!), I'd love to have your suggestions!

Here's the link to my music list, and where I'd like you to add your suggestions. You don't have to register to comment, but please let me know who you are!

3 comments:

EGE said...

A bit of advice (not that you asked) if you care -- and you obviously do -- which songs you hear, then DON'T hire a DJ. He (or she) will tell you what you want to hear, they will accept a song list and promise to play nothing that's not on it, and then you WILL get the hokey pokey and Bobby McFerrin.

I don't have personal experience, but this happened to at least three people I know, with different DJs, in different states.

They just think they know what "people" want to hear -- and maybe they do -- but if you want to hear what YOU want to hear, then I wouldn't trust a DJ farther than I could throw him.

Chaya said...

That's why we're doing this, not just because we're cheap. I figure if I'm going to have to spend a bunch of time figuring out and burning the music WE want, what are paying a DJ to do except babysit the music?!? And even if we do hire the woman we know (to babysit the music and provide and set up the sound equipment), we will be handing her the CDs and saying "you will be playing songs from these CDs, period." I've been to too many of those weddings myself to know to trust a DJ to not just do his or her own thing.

Chaya said...

Oh and I'm always looking for folks' advice/two cents worth. I can always ignore it, and it may help - hey, it's not like I've done this before!!