Thursday, October 18, 2007

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red had that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
From the poem "Warning" by Jenny Joseph

I was reading this poem (among others) last night (as poetry soothes me, and I sure need some soothing these days), and I'm now having this strange compulsion to get married in dress made of or trimmed in purple, and wearing a red veil and red slippers. After all, I will have been 50 for all of a few weeks by the time we do this, shouldn't I somehow celebrate that as part of our wedding?

I'm wondering if there are enough women in this area to start a "Red Hat Femmes" group, open to all but specifically catering to lesbian women, and I'd include transwomen as well. Despite the silliness of it, I like the Red Hat Society. No, actually I like it BECAUSE of their silliness. I'm too lazy right now to go to their site and find out the exact language, but I know from a red-hat coworker that the whole purpose is to celebrate your age, be silly, have fun, and be rid of responsibilities. It's not a group to do fund raising (I originally typed "fun raising" which I guess would have been appropriate!) or good deeds to give back to the community; it's a group to dress up in outrageous outfits and hats, and laugh with other women of a particular age. And I for one think that's a damn good reason for a group like this, particularly for a generation raised to believe you were supposed to exist to serve everyone else in your life (and I'll include myself and other baby-boomers, even if we spent our young adult-hoods immersed in the 60's/70's feminist movements).

I'm 18 months and 8 days from my 50th birthday, but I don't think it's too soon to consider what I want to be doing then.

No comments: