Friday, September 14, 2007

Backyard wedding flowers

Several things are important to me if I'm going to have a wedding ceremony and party:
  • Keep it low-budget
  • Keep it low-key/totally not ostentatious
  • Keep it real to who we really are
  • Keep it as local as we can with regard to foods and flowers
Now, it's not likely that I'm going to attempt to self-cater this shindig so I'm going to look for someone who will work with local foods as much as possible (though I'm not going to be a maniac about it either...). But I'm really liking the idea of planning and growing my own wedding garden. At the very, very least I'd like to carry flowers from my own garden, and it would be ideal to have the entire thing decorated with (among other things) flowers from my own garden.

To this end, I just posted on gardenweb.com looking for ideas and instructions for what I could plant that might be blooming and cuttable right around that time. Of course, if we end up doing this in our own back yard we'll want to have things blooming and otherwise looking good right in place. I realize that this is one of the things that it really is good to start planning this far in advance, since there might be things I'd want to plant this fall or spring in order for them to be established by the next year -- or that I might want to plant this fall or spring just to get a good idea of when they bloom.

Ideas appreciated.

No comments: