Sunday, September 16, 2007

A late night not quite sober ramble

I'd like to put together a multi-disciplinary team of experience researchers, both scientists and academics, to study the emotional and social rollercoaster of wedding planning: I want to look at Nature vs Nurture vs Marketing budgets - do thousands of women find things appealing because their general personalities draw them to those things, do they want them because it is a beloved tradition in her culture or a fun/romantic thing that a friend did first, or are they pushed towards wanting things by the katrillion dollar wedding industry fueled even further by what's on the internet.

It's a combination of genuine intellectual curiosity with wishing I knew what the fuck I was getting myself into with planning this wedding. I mean, LOOK at me: Less than a week after a proposal and I've written a good half-dozen blog entries, joined three online communities, looked at hundreds of dresses, and ordered one that was cheap and cute and could work. Maybe I should include medical researchers in on this study. Could this be the sign of a bridezilla parasite eating my brain?

Maybe we should just go to Canada and skip the local shindig: Just the two of us and a handful of strangers in a quick civil ceremony. Yeah, that will work.

Now I'm going to eat pie.

1 comment:

EGE said...

Johnny and I eloped, and my parents insisted on throwing us a party anyway, which I had nothing to do with the planning of except for veto power, and STILL the planning sucked.

If I had it to do over again, I'd elope again and this time just not tell anybody.