Monday, September 17, 2007

This is something I can't conceptualize

OK, so I can deal with feeling like I'm surrounded by aliens (or more realistically that I'm the alien) when it comes to the whole wedding frou-frou stuff, but that's ok -- other folks are planning what THEY want and I'm planning what I want so that puts us on the same page even if you're spending $100k and have a zillion tiny details that are important to you and a paid staff to handle most of them, and I'm trying to epitomize keeping it simple and low key. Oh, and cheap.

But what I can't fathom is this: One girl actually had the cojones (huevos?) to post the question (on a wedding board which I will knot name) of how to approach her parents for money towards her second wedding, when her first was just 5 years ago and cost THEM $30k, and this girl just got a $170k (yes, one hundred seventy thousand) inheritance from an aunt or someone. This after Daddy has already told her that he wasn't going to pay for another wedding, and after her fiance's parents had said that they'd help. But she just didn't want to have to spend that much of her own money on their planned $12k wedding.

I can't even comprehend it. Seriously - that's like really bad science fiction to me. People, especially those who are attempting to masquerade as adults, would really DO that?!?

I was at least glad to see that there were lots and lots of immediate responses, worded with various shades of politeness, of "no you should NOT ask him for money" so clearly that's at least not a commonly accepted practice.

The strange things you see when you travel to a foreign land...

1 comment:

-h. said...

I wouldn't dare ask my dad for money for the wedding. This is both of our second wedding, and for the record, I didn't ask my folks to pay for the first.

Grown ups just don't play dress up to the tune of $12K. Just sayin'.