Monday, September 24, 2007

I told my mom and brother

Well in the midst of all of the chaos of the weekend, I did tell my mom about our getting married. I asked her about making us a quilt to use as our chuppah (which would then also be their wedding present to us) and she really liked that idea, as I hoped she would.

I want to talk to Ivón about it, but I'm thinking that I'd like her to do something that is based on a traditional double-wedding ring pattern but with non-traditional darker jewel-tone colors, perhaps batik fabrics, and perhaps with some personalized elements such as some blocks that have the... can't remember the name, a special quilt technique ("folded paper" comes to mind. edited to add: paper piecing is what it's called) that allows you to piece different figures that almost look like appliqués but are in fact pieced. I'm thinking perhaps four corner blocks - one with a house, one with two little girls (our grandchildren), one with our pugs, and one with our initials.

I also told my brother when we were conversing via IM, who in typical fashion was just "Oh, cool!" and that was pretty much it. But he's a good guy and totally supportive and I know he'll be there if he possibly can.

2 comments:

Dara said...

"Cathedral Windows" is what those little folded-back-fabric-window quilt pattern blocks are called. They're pretty, but a PITA.

Leslie said...

I talked to my mom today and she said that what I'm talking about is called "paper pieced" quilting and is used to make all kinds of pictures by sewing the fabric to paper. Cathedral windows is a specific quilt block design that, as you described, uses the folded back material. From what I understand, both are a PITA. Here's a pic to give an example of a paper-pieced quilt - each of the things that looks like it might be an appliqué is actually pieced with little bits of fabric.

http://www.caroldoak.com/quiltimages/Fathom.JPG