Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's all about the bride, baby.

Or at least this blog is being written by the bride and is all about the planning process that must go into and the frustration that will result from this future bride's efforts to work with the Latin butch of my dreams to plan our wedding, since we all know who will be doing most of the work that goes into it (said butch being of the type who would dearly love for me to just do a ten-second mind-meld to find out whatever specific desires are there, and then just say "be here at this time on this date, honey, and don't be late").

What we have so far?

A proposal.

That's all that's set in stone so far. We're going to do this.

No date, though I'm guessing we're talking late May or early June 2009. Why then? Well, first of all, my summer break is the only time that this can realistically happen. And once it hits July, the humidity around here will kill you, or at least it will make ME very cranky and unhappy. That leaves late May/early June. And even though this will be a small, low-budget and really fairly low-key affair, the chances of our realistically being able to plan this for just 8 months from now are fairly slim (especially considering that we'll have to PAY for it as well), and the idea of trying to pull this off in that short of time makes me want to... we just won't go there. So unless we win the lottery and I can get a totally custom dress and hire a wedding planner to handle all the details, late spring 2009 is when I'm presuming we'll pull off this shindig.

No location, though we've talked very briefly about just having it right here in our own back yard. Unless we somehow dramatically increase our social circle in the next year, we'll be hard pressed to come up with even 50 guests, so having it here isn't unrealistic, and we could then justify taking what we'd pay to have it elsewhere and putting it into fixups that would make the house look nicer for a wedding. I'd still love to get married on the beach, so we still might do that and then come back here for a reception but at the same time I want a good bad-weather backup plan in place just in case.

No real plan, though when we first talked about having a wedding years ago (before our relationship took a steep nosedive into the gutter and seemed for a while to be irreparable) we pretty much agreed on a sorta-Jewish wedding and a Latin-themed reception.

And I don't have a fucking clue as to what I'm going to do about a dress. I'll be fifty years old (FIFTY?!?), I'll still be short, I'll still be "nicely rounded", and they just don't make wedding dresses for folks like me who don't want to look like the matronly mother of the bride. I want to be sexy without looking slutty or stupid or like I'm trying to relive my teenage years (oh god I shudder at the thought!!), I want something flattering, non-traditional without being way out there and yet still somewhat bride-ish, I want something that won't make me sweat like an ice-filled glass on a hot humid afternoon (or that will help mask the sweat if I do - I am a girl who sweats, that's all there is to it).

One condition I placed on saying yes is that we head north to Canada to get legally married for our "honeymoon." I stopped wanting a formal ceremony a few years ago when all the right-wing shit hit the fan and state after state went on record to declare that our relationship was somehow dangerous and demented and certainly illegal. The hell if I wanted to get married in only a "pretend" wedding that had no legal gravity to it. And while I clearly know that Canada's recognition of our being legally married won't mean anything in the U.S., it will at least help me to know that there are civilized, rational governments out there who don't give a rats ass who we love as long as we pay our taxes and keep our lawns mowed and help in whatever ways we can to raise responsible future taxpayers and voters. I was originally thinking Montreal or Toronto, but perhaps well go to Seattle and Vancouver instead. We'll see.

OK, end of babbling for now. A lot of what you'll see her will be things I list for my own benefit (like random ideas I want to remember or to-do lists) and various rants or rambles, but I invite and appreciate your comments on anything at all.

3 comments:

Dara said...

The thing is, I KNOW you can get married in Toronto. I'm not certain its so easy to get married in the other provinces. You might check that out before you get too far into the planning process. We looked into all of this right before both my parents got sick.

Leslie said...

Thanks, Dara! I had thought that we could get married anywhere in Canada, but we certainly have time to check - and just hope that somehow the conservative forces don't gain enough power up there to overturn the law allowing us to marry!

Thanks for the link to the dress, btw - it's adorable! Later today when Von is up and about (he had hand surgery this morning) I'll make sure he likes it, and if so I'm going to order it to try on. I'm SO not willing to pay a fortune for a dress!

EGE said...

Congratulations! And remember, since your Canadian marriage won't be recognized here anyway, you COULD always come to Massachusetts...

I'm kidding. Honeymoon away. I just wanted to point out that not ALL of us are right-wing hotheads.