Friday, September 21, 2007

The perfect Chuppah

I've just come across something that would mean the world to me at our wedding, something I never even imagined before now: A chuppa that is quilt-pieced by my mom, and later turned into our wedding quilt.

I happened upon a thread on one of the wedding boards where someone was showing off their traditional-patterned quilt that she was making to use first as her chuppah. My heart actually started racing and my eyes filled with tears.

It's the perfect way to combine my Appalachian heritage and culture, of which I am very proud, with my Jewish religion, which is my spiritual choice.

It's the perfect way to ask my mom to participate in our wedding a very special way, since she is a quilter of such incredible talent that a quilt she designed and made is the feature quilt on the cover of a Very Popular National Quilting Magazine.

I'm very happy about this idea.

No comments: